Speaking With Shakira: Q&A

5:24 p.m. No Comment
Tim Roney/Getty Images Shakira

Powered by the alluring single, "Whenever, Wherever," Laundry Service, the aboriginal English-language anthology from Colombian-born Shakira, has been a part of the top twenty best sellers in the United States back its absolution in November. Shakira, however, has been a above brilliant throughout Latin America back her aboriginal adolescence. The twenty-four-year-old has been interviewed by Gabriel García Márquez, and for the endure two years she has been actively complex with Antonio de la Ruá, son of the afresh deposed admiral of Argentina. Her music is analogously diverse: As she says, and as the Led Zeppelin-influenced guitar on some of her songs reflects, she is "a pop artisan with a bedrock & cycle heart." But as the Andean flutes on some added advance suggest, her arch is in the clouds of her built-in continent, and as that belly-dance affair she so memorably does in her video shows, her belly anatomy absorb the anamnesis of her father's Lebanese heritage. "My music, I think, is a admixture of abounding altered elements," she says. "And I'm consistently experimenting. So I try not to absolute myself, or put myself in a category, or . . . be the artist of my own jail, you know?"


Did you just say that you try not to be the artist of your own jail? I like the administration that your command of English is taking. You accept a lot of earlier brothers and sisters?Yes, I am the youngest, and I am the alone adolescent of my parents' marriage. But from my dad's aboriginal alliance I accept 5 brothers and three sisters. He didn't watch that abundant TV, my dad.


So what affectionate of chat did you accept about the banquet table growing up?My dad consistently admired to accept absorbing chat at the table. He was affectionate of an intellectual. He admired to try to advise us about literature, he was consistently absolute admiring to politics, and he would wish to acquisition out what we anticipation about altered things. He consistently fabricated it interesting. Of course, now we allocution about added atomic things.


You've aswell done some acting?I was a absolutely bad actress, I accept to confess. I did a soap opera if I was seventeen. And I absolutely enjoyed it, because it was a absolute new date in my life. I was affective to a new city, the basic of my country, and I had never confused before, and I was amidst by accurate artists. And if I say accurate artists, I beggarly absolute actors who accept been assuming for twenty years and accept a accurate charge to art. So it was appealing abundant a alive acquaintance for me. But I was too young, and I was a little overacted, and I don't feel too proud, you know? I don't like to watch the episodes of that series.


Are you absorbed in accomplishing any added bad acting in the future?It's not a calling, and it's not something that I dream of. But it ability appear just because I'm absolute analytical to see what it agency to plan in all the fields of art. I feel the apple of music active through my veins, but I'm an adherent of art in all its dimensions. So, yeah, why not?


Yes. Why should you be the artist of your own jail? What is your ancient memory?My ancient anamnesis is if my mom accustomed the bad account of my brother's death. Because I acclimated to accept six brothers, but one of them died if I was two years old, and that's the ancient anamnesis that I have. And that's apparently the acumen why I'm necrophobic – I accept a anxiety of the accountable of death. Afterlife of relationships, afterlife of feelings, concrete death, my death, but abnormally the afterlife of humans I love. Lately I've been accepting over it a little bit, for my own good.


Forgive me for asking, but how did your brother die?He died in an accident. He was benumbed a motorcycle, and a bashed man hit him with his car.


How awful. I'm so sorry.Well, I was absolute little, I just bethink the scene. But psychologists say that the aboriginal anamnesis that a getting has is consistently absolute determinative.


Do you accept that?Oh, yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. You do not accept that?


Well, I don't discount it. But I'm earlier than you. I accept that the absolute agency in activity keeps changing.Yes, my affairs aswell bent my activity and my career, because even admitting I had brothers and sisters, I was the alone adolescent of my nuclear family, and to be the alone adolescent is absolute determinative, too. they say that the alone adolescent is consistently overprotected. And that ability be true. But again if you grow, you tend to become overprotective. And I overprotect my parents. Because they consistently meant my accomplished world. They were the pillars, the columns of my activity structure. And they aswell were my best friends. So to me it's absolute important to accomplish abiding that they're fine, that they accept aggregate that they need, that their bloom is in acceptable condition. I depend on them, a lot. But it's a high-dependence relationship, mutually, from my ancillary and their side.


I apprehend that the aboriginal song you wrote was about your father's sunglasses.Yes. It was alleged "Your Dark Sunglasses." But it was committed to a little boy in my imagination. Because at that time, I did not accept a boyfriend, I was eight years old. But I consistently wrote adventurous songs, always. Even if I was a little child, the capacity of my songs were romantic. But I took the sunglasses as a motif. Because, you know, accouchement just yield advantage of the baby realities, the few things that appear in their lives, because their apple is absolute small.


Was there a specific little boy you had in mind, or was it actually in your imagination?It was in my imagination. A dejected prince in my imagination.


A blueprint?No, a dejected prince, like in a bogie tale. We alarm it that in Spanish: principe azul. I don't apperceive if you accept the aforementioned byword in English.


No. We should, though. And you accept an absolute admirer now.Yes. Now I accept a absolute one. A absolute prince. A prince who didn't become a frog. Like I say in my song "Underneath Your Clothes," you're "all the things I deserve for getting such a acceptable girl, honey." And I anticipate I've been a acceptable girl.


Do you accept any New Year's resolutions?Yeah. Many. I wish to be every time a little added serene to break my problems. And I wish to be added advanced with myself. And every time I wish to accept beneath fears. I wish to apprentice how to reside in the present with my eyes open. Because, you know, we consistently go through the present blindfolded with our hearts in the accomplished and our minds in the future. And that way we never adore the actuality and now.


Those complete added like constant projects than New Year's resolutions.
Yes. But every year you accept to plan.


This adventure is from the February 14th, 2002 affair of Rolling Stone.

From The Archives Affair 889: February 14, 2002

No hay comentarios. :

 
Copyright © CelebrityWeddingsBlog | Powered by Blogger